Scale name: Retirement Goal Clarity
Description: All items contained in this scale in some way reflect the act of thinking about, discussing, or setting general (as opposed to financially-oriented) retirement goals for the future.
Source: Stawski, R. S., Hershey, D. A., & Jacobs-Lawson, J. M. (2007). Goal clarity and financial planning activities as determinants of retirement savings contributions. International Journal of Aging and Human Development, 64, 13-32. doi: 10.2190/13GK-5H72-H324-16P2
Cronbach's alpha: 0.90
Response format: Likert-type response format (1 = strongly disagree; 7 = strongly agree)
Instructions: Using the seven-point scale below, please indicate the extent to which you agree or disagree with each of the following statements.
1. Set clear goals for gaining information about retirement.
2. Thought a great deal about quality of life in retirement.
3. Set specific goals for how much will need to be saved for retirement.
4. Have a clear vision of how life will be in retirement.
5. Discussed retirement plans with a spouse, friend, or significant other.