Scale name: Future Time Perspective
Description: This 5-item scale (M = 5.66; SD = 1.09) measures the extent to which individuals are prone to think about the future, specifically in the context of retirement planning.
Source: Koposko, J. L., & Hershey, D. A. (2014). Parental and early influences on expectations of financial planning for retirement. Journal of Personal Finance, 13, 17-27.
Cronbach's alpha: 0.89
Response format: Likert-type response format (1 = strongly disagree; 7 = strongly agree)
Instructions: Using the seven-point scale below, please indicate the extent to which you agree or disagree with each of the following statements.
1. I enjoy thinking about how I will live years from now in the future.
2. I like to reflect on what the future will hold.
3. I look forward to life in the distant future.
4. It is important to take a long-term perspective on life.
5. My close friends would describe me as future oriented.